Once a week, we work on English skills through a really motivating session: Language Rotations. From 1st to 6th grade students enjoy this class because they can use their previous knowledge to complete the tasks. They review and extend what we’re working during the week.
We offer them different activities to work on the English skills, and they rotate to participate in every task:
- Read to self: they read a book related to the Unit of Inquiry they’re working on, and sometimes they choose the book they read.
- Read to someone: in pairs, they choose the same book and they read it together, checking their partner for understanding. Sharing a book is a great way to enjoy friendship too!
- Listen to reading: their teacher reads them a text or a story. Another option is using iPads to listen to an audiobook. Then, they usually finish the rotation with a short comprehension activity.
- Work on Writing: they work on grammar structures in these kind of activities. Really useful to review the verb tense we’re working on during the week.
- Word Work: they can improve their vocabulary bank with these thrilling activities.
- Speaking: using cards, board games and pictures, we encourage them to speak and have fluid conversations.